Whether it’s for travel, a purchase, or just because, earning a bit of extra cash is always on my radar. I’m really good at saving lots of money and then draining my bank account to travel. So good, that I’ve successfully done it on at least three occasions. However, saving and earning are two different things. I’m still working on the earning side, but here are some tips that I’ve found useful so far.
1. Get a Saturday job. Already worked the 40 hour workweek? Pick up an extra gig on the weekends, whether it is at a restaurant or working retail. The entire year before my rtw trip, I worked 2-3 Saturdays a month at a retail store.
2. Make friends with Craigslist and eBay. Surely you have things lying around that you no longer need. Sell that stuff!
3. Make friends with Craigslist again. Check out the ‘Gigs’ section on Craigslist. I did a 2-day promotional event the week before I left on a trip in 2008 and earned over $200 to boost my travel funds.
4. Babysit. There are loads of babysitting jobs out there, and you can work around your existing work schedule. Do you have rugrats in the neighborhood? Hunt them down, then persuade their parents to leave them in your care.
5. Write. The gig doesn’t pay much but there are places online that will pay you for what you have to say about travel, fashion, and pretty much any topic you can think of.
6. Donate plasma. I used to live down the street from a plasma collection center. I haven’t tried this one yet, but perhaps if I get desperate, I will.
7. Tutor. Do you have tutoring skills or other skills where you could teach someone? Maybe you play the guitar or you’re an expert baker. Put those skills to use and teach someone. It’s easy to put a few flyers up or post your skills on Craigslist.
8. Have a yard sale. If you have junk that isn’t worthwhile to sell online, pile it on your front yard, advertise the week in advance, and hope that the traffic comes!
9. Get crafty. If you are a creative being, make something and sell it. Places like Etsy will provide you with a market. You can paint, sell photography, make ornaments, pottery, clothing, and so on.
10. Become a secret shopper. There are agencies out there that will pay you to shop! Fabulous. You can review restaurant and retail experiences.
These are just a few tips on how to earn some extra money, and I recently found a few others here. Please leave a comment if you have other ideas on how to make it rain. I’d love to hear them!